Often we encounter those who are homeless or may just be struggling to make ends meet. When you see someone holding a sign asking for help on the street corner or laying on a bench in a park, what’s the best way to help them? I’m sure everyone has their own opinion on that, but I wanted to share an easy way to lend a helping hand called a blessing bag. It’s not my own idea – I saw it on social media a few years back, but have enjoyed being able to bless others this way.
The concept is simple: Fill up a Ziploc bag with items that someone homeless or struggling could use. I always take the shampoo, soap, lotion, etc from hotels and keep them to put into these bags. There are also plenty of sites like Freebie Shark that will alert you about ways to get free samples that can be used for this purpose.
Ideas for things to include:
- Gift cards for restaurants, grocery stores, or clothing stores
- Shampoo, Conditioner, Lotion, Soap
- Encouraging notes or Scripture
- Information about local food banks or shelters. Our church has a Wednesday community meal called FEED, so we include a card with details about that.
- First Aid Kit
- Non-perishable nutrient-dense snacks like jerky, granola bars or protein bars.
- Hand Sanitizer
The Planking Traveler