Disclosure – Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning that if you click on the link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission.
Indoor and beach volleyball are fairly well-known, but some people I talk to aren’t aware of the world of grass volleyball, so I figured it could use a little more publicity!
Download your own Volleyball Tournament Packing List so you’ll always be well prepared no matter where you’re playing.
Get your own volleyball pocket pump for less than $10 and never worry about playing with a flat ball again!
I grew up playing indoor volleyball in middle and high school and went on to play beach recreationally in college. Thanks to my older brothers who both played volleyball, I started playing grass volleyball tournaments when I was in high school.
Related: What To Pack For Grass Volleyball Tournaments
I spent my formative volleyball years in Columbia, SC which coincidentally hosts two of the largest grass tournaments in the Southeast: The Clash and The Crown. Because I’ve played in those two tournaments for the past 15+ years, I may be biased, but they’ve definitely turned into my two favorite weekends of the year. They give away over $14,000 in cash and prizes, so as you can imagine, the competition is fierce!
Also, be sure to look into the recently started Soda City Classic that takes place in Columbia as well! Interested in more tournaments? Here are some bucket list events around the US that you should check out!
- Hang 10 Volleyball – Hillsborough, NC – multiple tournaments
- Frenemies – Charlotte, NC – multiple tournaments
- A-Town – Anderson, SC – multiple tournaments
- Pisgah Forest Classic – Brevard, NC – annually in July
- The Dive After 5 – Charlotte NC – annually in August
- Pafukas – Columbia, SC – multiple tournaments
- G-Vegas Volleyball – Greenville, SC – multiple tournaments April – October (FREE snacks and drinks and the location of the 2020 Grass Nationals!!)
- Waupaca Boatride – Oshkosh, WI – annually in July
- The Luau – Chicago, IL – annually in September
- Pottstown Rumble – Pottstown, PA – annually in June
- The Bash – Clemmons, NC – annually in June
- Angry Dragon – Atlanta, GA – multiple tournaments
- MotherLode – Aspen, CO – Labor Day weekend
- Susquehanna Smash – Lilitz, PA – annually in August
- The Digs – Virginia Beach, VA – annually in May
- Spikefest – Dallas, TX – annually in June
If you’ve not played grass volleyball before, here are just a few reasons I love it:
- More forgiving to dive on than an indoor court.
- You get a great workout in while hanging out with your friends.
- Easier to jump and feel like you have a vertical compared to sand.
- There is a lot of strategy involved in outdoor since it’s usually doubles or triples – you can utilize cut shots and more finesse rather than just power.
- No burning sand underfoot.
- Playing in the wind and rain make for some hilarious rallies.
- You can set up a net almost anywhere you can find a flat surface!
Do you think you’ll try playing in a grass tournament soon? Are there any tournaments you love that I should add to my bucket list? Let me know in the comments!
Maybe grass volleyball isn’t your thing? Be sure to check out the largest beach tournament in the US in Seaside Oregon and the largest beach tournament in the world that takes place in Italy. Feeling more adventurous? How about trying snow volleyball?
Lastly, I really want to know – what’s your ball of choice – Wilson or Spalding??
I wish I was as athletic as you! I used to enjoy volleyball when we would have it in PE for middle school but I never played on a team because I’m not athletically gifted.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I was the same way with soccer – enjoyed it, but wasn’t ever my strong suit. I would call myself more an “athletic klutz” though because I’m constantly tripping up stairs and basically running into everything possible lol
Not sure if you’ve heard of Spikefest, it’s the biggest grass tournament in the country, you should to your list if you have not done it. Great article….thank you.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I hadn’t heard of that, I will definitely add to my list, thank you!
Love your blog, happened upon it while googling Angry Dragon tourney’s (Have played in a batch of those and love them.) Stealing this list, and going to use it to recruit some more people onto the upcoming volleyball vacations!
Just wanted to drop a note an encourage you on what your blog! Enjoyed the content!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks so much, Sam!
Great list Emily! Thanks for sharing!