Disclosure – Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning that if you click on the link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission. All companies are ones I use and trust.
Indoor and beach volleyball are fairly well-known, but some people I talk to aren’t aware of the world of grass volleyball, so I figured it could use a little more publicity!
Get your own volleyball pocket pump for less than $10 and never worry about playing with a flat ball again!
I grew up playing indoor volleyball in middle and high school and went on to play beach recreationally in college. Thanks to my older brothers who both played volleyball, I started playing grass volleyball tournaments when I was in high school.
I spent my formative volleyball years in Columbia, SC which coincidentally hosts two of the largest grass tournaments in the Southeast: The Clash and The Crown. Because I’ve played in those two tournaments for the past 15+ years, I may be biased, but they’ve definitely turned into my two favorite weekends of the year. They give away over $14,000 in cash and prizes, so as you can imagine, the competition is fierce!
If you can’t make it to the Clash or Crown, here are some bucket list tournaments around the US that you should check out!
- Hang 10 Volleyball – Hillsborough, NC – multiple tournaments
- Frenemies – Charlotte, NC – multiple tournaments
- A-Town – Anderson, SC – multiple tournaments
- Pisgah Forest Classic – Brevard, NC – annually in July
- The Dive After 5 – Charlotte NC – annually in August
- Pafukas – Columbia, SC – multiple tournaments
- G-Vegas Volleyball – Greenville, SC – multiple tournaments April – October (FREE snacks and drinks and the location of the 2020 Grass Nationals!!)
- Waupaca Boatride – Oshkosh, WI – annually in July
- The Luau – Chicago, IL – annually in September
- Pottstown Rumble – Pottstown, PA – annually in June
- The Bash – Clemmons, NC – annually in June
- Angry Dragon – Atlanta, GA – multiple tournaments
- MotherLode – Aspen, CO – Labor Day weekend
- Susquehanna Smash – Lilitz, PA – annually in August
- The Digs – Virginia Beach, VA – annually in May
- Spikefest – Dallas, TX – annually in June
If you’ve not played grass volleyball before, here are just a few reasons I love it:
- More forgiving to dive on than an indoor court.
- You get a great workout in while hanging out with your friends.
- Easier to jump and feel like you have a vertical compared to sand.
- There is a lot of strategy involved in outdoor since it’s usually doubles or triples – you can utilize cut shots and more finesse rather than just power.
- No burning sand underfoot.
- Playing in the wind and rain make for some hilarious rallies.
- You can set up a net almost anywhere you can find a flat surface!
Do you think you’ll try playing in a grass tournament soon? Are there any tournaments you love that I should add to my bucket list? Let me know in the comments!
Maybe grass volleyball isn’t your thing? Be sure to check out the largest beach tournament in the US in Seaside Oregon and the largest beach tournament in the world that takes place in Italy. Feeling more adventurous? How about trying snow volleyball?