When I saw this recipe on a friend’s blog recently, I thought to myself, blueberries in a meatball??! Weird! If you know me, you know I’m a fan of adventurous eating, so for Week 23 of my Trying New Things Challenge, I figured I’d try making this sweet and savory recipe, courtesy of Fed and Fit.
- 2 pounds ground pork turkey
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped and de-stemmed kale
- 2/3 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme (may substitute 3/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh chopped sage (may substitute 3/4 teaspoon dried)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, then set aside.
- Grate the sweet potato until you have enough to equal 1 1/2 cups, then add to a large bowl along with the ground pork, kale, blueberries, maple syrup, salt, sage, and thyme. Work the mixture with your hands until fully combined.
- Shape the mixture into one inch balls and place on the rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes until the meatballs are browned and the blueberries have burst.
- Let cool slightly then enjoy!
Admittedly, I was skeptical when taking my first bite of these, but I ended up loving the taste. The small burst of sweetness from the blueberries paired nicely with the turkey, kale and sweet potato. They lasted me for about 3-4 days in the fridge, so it was nice to have a ready-made breakfast to just heat up quickly in the morning.
As you can see, I had a constant beggar who also enjoyed sampling these meatballs, so they’re definitely fur baby approved! My husband said they tasted like Thanksgiving dinner in one bite, so you’ll have to let me know what you think if you try them!
Thanks for reading.